Friday, February 24, 2012

Rearranged Reading

You know when you are reading a book and the author mentions a room? Now imagine the room is in a cottage by the sea. For me, I immediately picture the house; what way it is facing, where the room is, and where the main elements like the door, bed, and window are. But alas, the author then goes on to describe the room and what is beside what. Now I'm in a conundrum. I have to go about rearranging the said fictional room in my head while my original picture keeps fighting for space. I decide to put the bed there instead so it's still similar to my original picture but now the wardrobe can go beside it. I twirl the room completely so the window can go on that side. It's a battle but I eventually get there, even if the room ends up being a bit smaller than the author would like.

Isn't it interesting how your mind can make up images in a split second, and even better, it can rearrange them to suit a certain scenario? I wish we could all draw exactly what we see in our heads for this room and compare them. How different or similar would they be?

No comments:

Post a Comment