Sunday, February 26, 2012

Everyday tasks

Many many everyday tasks intrigue me. I like to know how and why people do things the way they do. There is no real reason for wanting to know these things, only that I find it very interesting how different people carry out the same tasks in different ways. For instance; how do you fill up a water bottle that already had water in it? Personally I have to empty all the water out, rinse the bottle out with more fresh, cold water and then fill it up. I know of other people (because I have asked) that just fill more water on top of the water that was already in the bottle. This seems barbaric to me even if the water was only put in an hour or so before. I think that the bottle needs to be cleansed and that the water needs to be as fresh as it can be. The old water seems to be contaminated in some small way.

Another good one is how do you press the button at the traffic lights to cross the road? Again, I use a slightly OCD option and press the button with the knuckle of my index finger. I figure that if I was to eat something or touch my hair then it wouldn't matter that that part of my body touched the button that so many adults and children touched before me for years. If you think about it, the button-pressers before you could have just picked their nose, handled raw meat, changed a babies' nappy, scratched their nether regions, or maybe they haven't even washed in a week. The thoughts are horrifying. I really wish I remembered this train of thought when I hold onto the poles on buses.

No comments:

Post a Comment