Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Trait dislike

I really dislike it when a person talks about one person to another person, both of whom are present, and they describe the person's hair or nails or clothes in this manner:

"I love THE hair. I love THE clothes and style."

If they are talking about the former person to the other person then they should just say:

"I love their/her/his hair. I love their/her/his clothes and style.

Or, if they are talking directly to the former person whilst the other person listens on they should say:

"I love YOUR hair. I love YOUR clothes and style."

When they talk like the former one they are making the person sound like an inanimate object. It's a very impersonal way to speak, and personally I wouldn't be endeared for someone to talk about me like that. They are picking out traits of me that they like, but not exclusively saying that it is the traits on me that they like. Weird!

No comments:

Post a Comment