Monday, May 14, 2012

Take a beating

For ten years, as a child and teenager, I was part of a Kenpo Karate group. Along with getting and keeping fit, I also made life-long friends and learned how to throw a punch properly. I'd like to think *touch wood* if I ever got attacked that I could defend myself. We practised the techniques and forms millions of times and the gestures and movements don't leave you after you quit. I thoroughly enjoyed punching the crap out of bags and punching mitts and fighting both people of my own age, height and sex, and those bigger than me, both in and out of competitions.

Karate gave my life some substance and something to look forward to. It also acted as a release for extra and unhealthy energy. Now that I am in my twenties I have recently taken up a ladies' boxing class. I don't fight anyone; I just spend an hour skipping and punching bags. One day I was feeling a little stressed from work and afterwards i went to boxing. I punched those bags with all my might because it really is up to yourself how much you get out of a class. Unfortunately for me I had to return to work for a few night hours, however I realised how much more calmer I was, and that the small things that were annoying me and stressing me out earlier in the day, weren't affecting me that much. I was able to brush things off.

For the past few years I have known that I need a release like that. Something like yoga isn't enough; I need to be able to fight the tension out of me. I would often get the pillow from my bed and give it a beating when I was feeling on the anxious side; I introduced my friends to this. They thought I was mad at first but then they saw the benefits of it. Instead of taking your frustrations out on a person with snarly comments and evil eyes, you are attacking an innocent little pillow that won't know the difference, apart from the fact that it might need to be replaced a little sooner than usual.

So, yes, something like boxing is a great way to take a hold of your anxieties, annoyances, fears and troubles and punch them away, so long as you don't bring the punching into the street.

No comments:

Post a Comment