Thursday, April 19, 2012

Jane Eyre notions

I think that one of the main reasons why someone loves a book rather than hates it, is because they find similarities within the protagonist and their habits or speech. It might also have to do with other characters, and the general situations that the main characters are in.

I really enjoyed Jane Eyre, because it was about a single woman trying to be independent in a man's world.

"'A new servitude! There is something in that, I soliloquised (mentally, be it understood; I did not talk aloud). 'I know there is, because it does not sound too sweet. It is not like such words as Liberty, Excitement, Enjoyment: delightful sounds truly, but no more than sounds for me, and so hollow and fleeting that it is mere waster of time to listen to them. But Servitude! That must be matter of fact. Anyone may serve. I have served here eight years; now all I want is to serve elsewhere. Can I not get so much of my own will? Is not the thing feasible? Yes - yes - the end is not so difficult, if I had only a brain active enough to ferret out the means of attaining it.'" (CHAPTER X)

This is one of my favourite parts of the book for a few reasons. Firstly, I can relate to it, because right now in my life I wish to "serve" somewhere else. I want to rustle up what has become my norm. Secondly, I love the fact that Jane explains her exact thoughts: "(mentally, be it understood; I did not talk aloud)." That part makes me laugh because it is also a way in which I think. I like to describe how exactly I was carrying on at the time. My third reason for loving this piece, as well as others in the book, is because Jane Eyre is very honest; she does not talk any nonsense. She is merely describing how she is feeling.

Again, here is another paragraph that I love:

"'You have nothing to do with the master of Thornfield, further than to receive the salary he gives you for teaching his protégée, and to be grateful for such respectful and kind treatment as, if you do your duty, you have a right to expect at his hands. Be sure that is the only tie he seriously acknowledges between you and him; so don't make him the object of your fine feelings, your raptures, agonies, and so forth. He is not of your order: keep to your caste, and be too self-respecting to lavish the love of the whole heart, soul, and strength, where such a gift is not wanted and would be despised.'" (CHAPTER XVII)

At this moment in time Jane has felt herself wondering of her master, Mr Rochester's whereabouts. In this little statement that she tells herself, it sounds like she is having inner turmoil and is trying to convince herself that she should not think about him the way she might like. It really expresses her stubbornness, her stubbornness to not need a man.

Sometimes I need to talk to myself in my head to make myself remember something or to make sure I don't think about someone in a certain way etc., so I love that Jane does it too.

"Stay till he comes, reader; and, when I disclose my secret to him, you shall share the confidence." (CHAPTER XXV)

I think the line above is great too because Jane knows something we don't but tells us outright that we won't find out what it is until Mr Rochester comes back. The reader is left hanging in suspense and waiting until they see his name grace the pages of our book again.

The next extract is favorable to me because it brings in the notion of luck and even horoscopes. My mother has always said that she thinks I was born under a lucky star, so this section reminded me of that:

"'...She is teachable and handy.' (This then, I thought is Miss Oliver, the heiress, favoured, it seems, in the gifts of fortune, as well as in those of nature! What happy combination of the planets presided over her birth, I wonder?)" (CHAPTER XXXI)

No comments:

Post a Comment